Dr. Larry Scheele has been practicing optometry in Sumter since 1989. He moved into his new eye clinic on Broad Street (hence, his sign "Eye On Broad") in 2001. He has new equipment, new optical department and well-trained staff. That means better eye health care for all his patients.
Dr. Scheele, and his family, moved here from Charleston, South Carolina, where he, as a Lieutenant in the Navy practiced optometry. He treated active duty military, their dependants and retirees at the Charleston Naval Hospital. He received his Doctor of Optometry degree from Pacific University College of Optometry, in Forest Grove, Oregon in 1986, and his Bachelor of Science Degree from Kansas State University, at Manhattan, Kansas in 1982.
Dr. Scheele is involved in the full scope of optometric practice. He has been providing laser vision correction consultations (LASIK) to patients for over eight years, and routinely provides medical treatment to patients with eye injuries and "red eyes" on an emergency walk-in basis. Dr. Scheele sees and co-manages patients with cataracts, and he diagnoses and treats glaucoma. The office has retinal imaging equipment onboard, which enables him to photograph and monitor retinal diseases, such as glaucoma, hypertension, diabetes and macular degeneration.
Of course, Dr. Scheele routinely prescribes and fits contact lenses, including the soft disposables, including colors, soft torics, soft bifocals and the rigid gas permeables. His eyeglass dispensary (optical department) has a very large collection of eyewear of the latest fashions. When your glasses are from the optical department, and you notice they aren't fitting just right, just drop in to the office for a free adjustment. No charge. Next time you're in, say hello to Dr. Scheele and his professional staff.
- American Optometric Association
- South Carolina Optometric Association
- Pee Dee Optometric Society
- Board Certified, American Board of Optometry
- Excimer Laser in Photorefractive Technologies, 1995
- Therapeutic certification, 1993 - included 110 hours of Board Certified Optometric Education, of which 40 hours were of direct clinical instruction of glaucoma treatment and management
- Treatment and Management of Ocular Disease, Birmingham, AL, 1988
- South Carolina License to practice Optometry, 1987
- O.D., Pacific University College of Optometry (www.opt.pacificu.edu), Forest grove, OR, 1982-1986
- B.S., Pacific University, Forest Grove (www.pacificu.edu/), OR, 1984
- B.S., Kansas State University, Manhattan (www.ksu.edu), KS, 1978-1982
- Scheele Eye Associates, PC, Sumter, SC, 1989- present
- Owner of private practice
- United States Navy, Charleston, SC, 1986-1989
- Lieutenant, Medical Service Corp, provided optometric care to Active Duty, Dependents and retirees
- Sumter Palmetto Rotary Club - Awarded Paul Harris Fellow